Thursday, September 2, 2010

The "G" Word

Letting go of the GUILT sure is a trying lesson for a mama. I recently stopped breastfeeding my little bug and the transition to formula did not go very smoothly, no pun intended. She was great for about a week and then everything came to stand still, she burst into tears, grunting and face beat read…she has never had any issues with going poo, so this was all new to me. Yes, I read all the books and subscribe to almost every “your baby should be doing this” website ….but no one told me about this!! The pure guilt I had, thinking I made the wrong decision; I still have time to change my mind…the sheer panic was setting in, and then the water works starting. So, here we are both crying, and my husband comes home from grocery shopping (I know, your jealous right?) and he just hugs us and tells me it’s not my fault, all babies get this…I dried my tears and realized he was right! I didn’t tell him that of course… okay, yes I did.

So, I am slowly letting go of the guilt. I am trying not to beat myself up over this. I know I gave our daughter the most precious gift for 7 months. She is a happy, healthy baby and loved beyond imagination. Some people will judge and ask why I stopped but I believe you have the right to do what is best for your own family, not what any book tells us what we “should” do!

More importantly, when did women stop supporting each other and started passing so much judgment?

1 comment:

  1. I hear you - my pedi prescribed formula for my little girl who has a milk protein allergy and ppl still give me crap about it. I say 7 months of BFing is more than most babies get and you did well!

    ReplyDelete